Assemblyman Bill Brough’s Disabled Veteran Business Protection Bill Now Law

SACRAMENTO – Assemblyman Bill Brough (R-Dana Point) has announced that Governor Gavin Newsom has signed his Assembly Bill 230 that enacts changes to the Disabled Veteran Business Enterprise (DVBE) program in support of better protections for disabled veteran subcontractors.

“While the DVBE program has indeed helped provide jobs for disabled veterans in California, two audits of the program have raised concerns about the program’s administration and data collection,” stated Brough. “This bill is about encouraging more participation by disabled veterans in state contracting bids and the reforms in AB 230 will help ensure these businesses are paid for their work.”

AB 230 was supported by numerous veteran organizations; including, the American GI Forum of California, AMVETS-Department of California, California State Commanders Veterans Council, and the Vietnam Veterans of America-California State Council.

October 13 was the last day for Governor Gavin Newsom to act upon bills sent to his desk during the final weeks of the 2019 session. There were a total of 1,042 bills that reached the Governor’s Desk in 2019, and 83.5% of the bills were signed leaving 16.5% of the bills to be vetoed.

Of the bills vetoed, Governor Newsom rejected Senate Bill 589 by Senator Patricia Bates (R-Laguna Niguel), which would have banned deceptive marketing practices in the rehab industry that was carried by Assemblyman Brough on the Assembly floor. His veto message can be read here.

“Having fully supported SB 589, I am disappointed that the Governor has chosen to veto this bill. The state needs to take control of ending unethical marketing practices that prey on distressed families or individuals in crisis seeking treatment. I look forward to working with Senator Bates and my colleagues next year on policies that stop bad actors and protect those who are seeking substance abuse treatment,” commented Assemblyman Brough.

###

Assemblyman William P. Brough represents the 73rd Assembly District in the California Legislature, which includes the communities of Aliso Viejo, Coto de Caza, Dana Point, Ladera Ranch, Laguna Hills, Laguna Niguel, Las Flores, Mission Viejo, Rancho Mission Viejo, Rancho Santa Margarita, San Clemente, San Juan Capistrano, Silverado and Trabuco Canyon