Asm. Brough Introduces Bill to Allow for a 2-year Vehicle Registrations

SACRAMENTO – Today, Assemblyman Bill Brough (R-Dana Point) is introduced AB 2090, which would permit California Drivers to choose a 2-year vehicle registration beginning January 1, 2021.

"The wait times at the DMV have been atrocious and have cost California taxpayers more money in order to reduce those time constraints" said Brough. "My bill aims to alleviate wait times at the DMV by allowing Californians to register their vehicles up to two years instead of requiring it to be renewed every year." 

A recent Department of Finance audit found that if customers were required to renew their vehicle registration less frequently, field offices may see a reduction in the quantity of customers visiting each year.  ​​About 40% of DMV office visits are for vehicle registration, the other 60% is for driver licenses and ID cards — a biannual vehicle registration has the potential to be significantly impactful.